Friday, September 4, 2015

At Play


Olive loves to chase after her foam rubber Frisbee (I call it “saucer” when I want her to get it, as opposed to her “ball” or her “kong”). Several times I demonstrated to people how she would catch it while attached to her 26-foot long leash, although Olive has never shown any inclination to bolt. About two months ago I considered that when we went to the local dog park I would take her off leash and let her run. She generally kept close to me and was very good about coming to me when I called her. I decided to try taking her off leash in the wide grassy field behind my townhouse, keeping her leashes handy just in case. I have to confess that I was not surprised that she stayed reasonably close to my back deck, focusing on the saucer and behaving quite well. Since then I often bring her out back after our periodic walks during the day, let her loose to chase the saucer, and have had no real problems. Only once did she run off; when a rabbit ran across the field near us she took off after it. Even then she obeyed when I yelled at her to get back and never was out of my sight. One of my neighbors marvels that she is so well behaved that I can let her loose. I am not sure whether I am technically violating the association rules at my complex, but no one has complained yet. She is clearly under my control. She seems to like that she is able to run and jump in a manner that she never could when she was on the long leash. Border collies require a great deal of exercise, and I am glad to have found a way that seems to satisfy that need.

Some friends brought Olive a “kong” toy, a somewhat conic hollow rubber toy that I can put food in through a hole at one end, about an inch in diameter. It’s a challenge to the dog to figure out how to get the food out. Olive seems to love the challenge, and is learning how to shake the food out. Most mornings she delays eating her breakfast, though she usually eats it eventually. I find that putting a small amount of her dry dogfood in there and sitting with her while she tackles the challenge of getting the food out stimulates her appetite. She will empty the toy, then look at me to see if I will refill it, which I sometimes do. After the second fill, she will often go over to her dish and eat what is left there. This seems to have become a sort of morning ritual for us. I had heard of kong toys, but it took someone buying Olive one to really get her started on it and make me see just what a hit it is with her.

Another morning ritual is brushing her with a soft wire brush. She loves being groomed like that and will lay still, except to shift positions as if she is saying “could you get this side?” It makes for a great bonding time. We do it nearly every day.

It amazes me how many people around my complex now know Olive. Some will even come out while we are walking by to play with her. Most have no idea who I am, but they know and love Olive!

No comments:

Post a Comment