Monday, October 5, 2015

Olive starts school

Last night there was an orientation session for those humans who will be bringing their dogs to the obedience class at "Tails U Win". The place was not hard to find, next to a restaurant called "Adam's Mill", an establishment with a local reputation as a place for fine dining that has me utterly baffled. Well, in past decades in the same town there were "Willy's Steakhouse" and "the Marco Polo" that also had reputations as fine dining establishments that similarly baffled the least demanding clientele. But I digress.

While waiting in the parking lot for things to get started, I spotted a woman with a border collie! Of course I had to introduce myself as a BC person, and found that she was the instructor. That was reassuring to know that the instructor knows border collies.

This session was clarified as "for people only--do not bring your dog". Of course, there had to be someone who missed that boldface notice and the email to that effect a few days ago and showed up with his dog. He seemed like a nice dog though a bit hyper. Staff was gracious and took him (the dog) to another area. I felt sorry for him (the dog, not the human).

Much of the session dwelt on the basics. Dogs on a leash, don't feed your dog before class, bring treats, a properly fitted collar or harness, bring a bed or mat for your dog to lie on. We were each given a folder of handouts and a "clicker". Some homework was also assigned. Much of the assignment is introducing the dog to the "clicker", a device that makes a snapping noise similar to the little tin devices many of us had as kids. We were instructed to click whenever our dogs exhibited desirable behavior, then reward. For example, if we command "sit" we should click the instant her rump hits the floor, then praise or give a treat. It seems that dogs soon take the clicks as affirmation of good behavior. A handout outlines the "name game" that we should play with our dog some ten times per day over the next week. We say our dog's name one time only and click immediately as he/she turns to look at us. As soon as we click, reward with small pieces of treat, praise, part of her dinner, toys, games, or anything else the dog really likes. I tried it with Olive a few times last night after I got home and she took right to it.

The rest of the homework consisted of reading the material in the folder and thinking about long and short term goals. After class I stopped in their store and picked up a treat pouch that I can wear on a belt during class. In the folder was a coupon for a free "bully stick" with a purchase over $5. Since the pouch cost well over $5 I took the stick. I am not sure what is in it, but a bully stick is a long stick for a dog to chew on. It looks like a stick one might find in the woods, perhaps made of rawhide. Olive took it right away and has already done some work on it. I will ask next time what it's made of, but I am certain that it's ok for dogs, since it's sold as a dog treat.

Now this morning a spring broke on my garage door, so I am waiting for the garage door service company to call me back and schedule someone to come out and repair it. Olive helped by barking at me from the house as I looked at the door and tried to figure out what happened. OK, one of the goals is to get her to stop barking when I command her to.

Stay tuned for more adventures in obedience class.

1 comment: