Monday, December 21, 2015

Merry Christmas from Olive and George


Despite Olive’s commentary in the last posting, she has been just wonderful with my tree. It doesn’t seem to bother her that it is in my living room, nor does the smaller artificial tree in my dining room window seem to bother her. If she has even noticed the existence of the ornaments, she makes no attempt to get at them. I had been apprehensive about how she would react to having trees and other decorations in the house, but needn’t have worried.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # #

As I have posted before, Olive and I are taking “Family Dog II” obedience class. Last the instructor had us do something new. We humans have been working on having our dogs come to us when we call. Last night the instructor put a number of obstacles and distractions between the dogs and their humans. A mechanical rabbit that jumped around, for example. Another was a mechanical toy of three cats singing “Jolly Old St. Nicholas”. Various other toys were scattered around. When it was Olive’s turn she began running straight to me when I called her, at first ignoring all of the distractions. Well, as she got near me she suddenly noticed a toy, stopped to pick it up. She started running toward me again, then stopped and ran back a short way as if to say “look what I found—let’s play!” I must be getting used to Olive doing such things in class, as I was amused and started laughing. She finally did come to me, with the toy of course. I think that the instructor and the rest of the class were amused as well. I took the toy from her and replaced it in the “obstacle course” before the next dog had his turn.

# # # # # # # # # # #

As this is our last posting before Christmas, Olive and I thought we would pass to you as a sort of a Christmas gift one of my favorite Christmas cartoons (from the 1930s) via You Tube. An eccentric inventor (who some might recognize as Betty Boop’s grandfather) saves Christmas for a group of neglected children at a badly run orphanage. I like the way that the cartoon morphs at the end into a pitch for Christmas Seals, which I am guessing would have been for sale in the theater lobby. Enjoy!
Christmas Comes but Once a Year

 
Have a great Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment