Friday, May 1, 2015

A retired engineer and his border collie take on fiddle lessons, contra dancing, folk music, and life in general in and around Hartford, CT

On March 24, 2015 I agreed to foster a two-year old border collie named Olive for one month. Within two weeks she decided that she wanted to stay with me, and I was hooked on her. There was a wrinkle in that Olive had been already sold to some other people by her breeder. Those people were away from their home for a month and could not be reached. That left Olive and I in Limbo for a while, as we continued to grow closer and even more fond of each other. Finally, my friend Nanne, who was Olive's breeder, managed to get through to the others and convinced them that staying with me would be in Olive's best interest. As of today, May 1, 2015, Olive and I are permanently together.

I have been sending bulletins marked "Life with Olive" to selected friends who were interested in how things were progressing with my new housemate. Now that Olive and I are together permanently, I decided to create a full-fledged blog. Most entries will be truly about "Life with Olive", though some might focus on other events, thoughts, and general goings on.

To make it clear, I do not see myself as "owning" Olive. She is my dog, but I do not own her any more than she "owns" me, her human. We are truly a team from here on.

No comments:

Post a Comment