Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cinco de Mayo

My Tuesday night supper group celebrated the Mexican holiday of Cinco de Mayo last night. Our friend Marsha offered to host it, and suggested that I bring Olive along. I was a bit hesitant, since I wasn't sure what the situation would be as I had never been to Marsha's house before, but it went well. I brought fixings for tacos, Marsha made burritos, Carol brought a flan desert, and of course there were several appetizers and beverages. As it turned out, Olive behaved quite well and stayed in the yard even without a leash or tether.

Carol brought along a surprise for Olive: a scoop designed for throwing tennis balls. Olive loved it when we tried it out on Marsha's back lawn. I am looking forward to trying it out at the spacious dog park near me. I had hoped to make a trip there this morning, but it looked like rain so I just took Olive for a long walk while I could. I needn't have worried, since the day turned out dry and quite nice.

I had browned and seasoned ground beef for the tacos, as well as chopped onion and peppers. There was quite a bit left over which I took home.  I ran to the grocery store this morning for a small eggplant and a can of diced tomatoes and made eggplant stew from a recipe I frequently use, with a few modifications. It did not turn out too bad with ciabatta bread to accompany it. That will be my lunch for the next several days.

While walking Olive near the pond in my townhouse complex this morning we came across a large turtle crossing the street to get to the pond. I stayed to make sure the turtle got across the road safely, but Olive did not seem to know what to make of the turtle. She seemed a bit apprehensive, occasionally barking at it, perhaps trying to get it to hurry up. A woman came by and took a photo of the turtle with her cell phone. I asked her to forward it to me, but alas there was no signal at that point for her. Oh, well. I would have liked to include the photo in this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment