Monday, June 15, 2015

Olive the water dog/Olive's first contra dance


I am fortunate to have a young neighbor who loves dogs and who seemed eager to act as a sitter for Olive when I broached the subject with her and her mom. Saturday was the annual sea music festival in Mystic, CT. I considered bringing Olive along, as dogs are allowed on the seaport grounds, but decided to leave her home as I might want to attend some performances at indoor venues. As such I asked my neighbor to look in on Olive around early afternoon. I had resolved to skip the evening concert and leave after the daytime activities ended. I thought that Olive might not take well to someone entering our unit without me, but my sitter reported that Olive greeted her with a kiss and was a perfect lady. This means that I can use her again when I need to leave Olive at home for more than a few hours.

On Sunday my friends Kathryn and Mark, who lives in the Berkshire region of Massachusetts, suggested that I bring Olive up to play with their two corgis. They also suggested that I consider going to a dog-friendly contra dance near Albany. I packed a few things for Olive, including her canvas water dish, and we drove up.

We did a light hike along a well maintained trail near the ruins of some nineteenth century mills. I took Olive off leash for a time. She was reasonably well behaved and came whenever I called her, but I got a bit concerned that she was running off the trail frequently and jumping into a stream that looked to have some significant currents. I put the leash back on and resolved to work on a “with me” command or “heel” command for future such activities, as well as routine walks. We did discover, however, that Olive loves the water! She seemed to like the feel of it against her skin and didn’t mind sitting or even laying down in the shallow water. Kathryn took some photos and a video, which I will post on this blog (if I can) when Kathryn is able to send them to me.

After the hike we went to the dog-friendly contra dance at the Buhrmaster Barn in the town of Colonie, New York. Olive seemed to be a hit with many of the dancers, and reveled in the attention she got. I joked that I had to pay admission but my “date” did not. I had no problem getting people to stay with her while I did a few dances, always choosing a spot in a line where Olive could see me. The music and all the activity did not seem to bother her. We left about half way through the dance so that I could get home at a reasonable time. I am sorry that there is not a similar dance closer to me so that Olive and I could go more often. Again, I will post photos that Kathryn took when I can.

We hit some construction traffic tie-ups on I-91 heading back to Connecticut, so we didn’t get home until nearly eleven. Both of us were exhausted. I was quite pleased with Olive’s behavior.

Today was a day of heavy rain. I tried out a rain hiking outfit that I bought at LL Bean just for the purpose of taking Olive out in the rain. It worked well, though my shoes got quite wet and I kicked myself for not getting a rain hat to go along with the outfit. After each walk Olive and I played with the foam rubber saucer in the rain. Olive seemed to love it. Each time I had to call it when it looked as if she was getting tired. I think the rain outfit was a good investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment