Thursday, June 11, 2015

Party Girl

A group of friends gets together most Tuesday nights for supper, usually at one person's or another's house. Last Tuesday was my turn to host.

I was a bit apprehensive about what Olive's reaction would be to a group of people occupying our home, but I needn't have worried. I fed her at 5:00 (her usual time); people began arriving around 7:00. Some of the people she already knew, and she fit right in with the crowd as a whole. Eight or nine people is the usual attendance; this time there were 14. At one point she withdrew to my downstairs bathroom, where she likes to be when it gets warm and humid to lay on the cool floor tiles. I had thought she might go upstairs to her own bed (where there were no people) to withdraw, but it did not seem to be the case. For the most part she was with everyone. There was little begging (if any) for food; she conducted herself as a perfect lady. I was very pleased with her.

Most of the dishes were done before the crowd left. Once it was just the two of us again, she seemed a bit relieved. I did a small amount of cleaning up, taking the trash out, and decided to leave what cleaning was undone for the next day. Wednesday morning I got up to walk and feed Olive, then went to a nearby breakfast spot. I then decided that Olive needed a break as well and took her to the dog park. That seemed to get her back to her normal self. When we got home I finished the washing, vacuumed the living room and dining room, put the rooms back to their normal state, and breathed a sigh of relief. By then I was exhausted and just relaxed the rest of the day, eating a plate of leftover potato salad and green salad for lunch, leftover vegetable casserole and pork chops with the last of the potato salad for supper.

I sometimes save comic strips I come across on line, especially if I can relate to them from my experience with Olive. Here are a few. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment